Earrings

Earrings
Opaque green glass and real gold leaf with gold plated findings

Monday 7 February 2011

How It all began part 2

I bought some fusing supplies such as glass, cutters, frit and other bits and started being creative.  I made some pendants and earrings from both glass and my old standby, polymer clay.  I was pleased with what I made so took them to work  to show to my friends.  I forgot to say that my husband thought that all of this was a load of rubbish and he couldn't understand why anyone would like any of this stuff and told me straight out that he thought I was wasting my time.
I took a small box of creations to work and came home that evening with £80!  Needless to say hubby then thought it was a good idea after removing his size 10 foot from his size 4 mouth.   Another friend at work was starting a course in beauty therapy and asked me to make a name tag for her.  I created a tag from liquid polymer clay that I coloured with a bright pink and wrote her name onto a small sheet of polymer clay and then baked it.  I was quite pleased with the way it turned out as was she.  It was my workmates who put the idea into my head about making a business out of my creations.  It took a few years and a redundancy from my QA job to inspire me to give it a try.  
I took a course about starting my own business with a group called NWES in Norwich.  The course was very informative and even now that the course is over, I can still ring them and ask for advice should I need it.  I also have a business advisor named Paul who meets with me to discuss what things I have been doing and to look at the new things I have made.  He also wrote a press release for me that highlighted some of the pieces I have made from things I have picked up through field walks and walks along the Thames at low tide.  
I have always had an interest in archaeology since I was a small child and when I moved to England and discovered shows like Time Team and Meet The Ancestors that made field walking more than just a walk in a field.  It is amazing the things that people from other generations have left behind.
Mostly I find clay pipe stems and bowls as well as bits of broken pottery.  Some of the pottery dates back to to the 1700s.  Each of these bits is to me a page out of the book of time.  I find myself wondering what the people were like and how they lived.  I still haven't found any Roman bits which to me would be the ultimate find.  I like to imagine one of these Romans walking back from a visit to a Roman town here in England and discovering that he dropped one of his coins.  Little did he know that it would survive, covered in earth until someone like me sees it glinting in the sunlight.  I don't want to find a Roman coin hoard (although it would be nice), I just want to find that little bit of history dropped over a millenia ago.
These clay stems and pottery bits I find, I cover with silver clay and then fire in my kiln to make unique pieces of history.  They can be made into pendants, earrings, cufflinks, charms for bracelets and if properly cared for will give the wearer a bit of the past to wear today and into the future.
The piece above was made from a broken clay pipe stem, covered with silver clay and then a strip of polymer clay made mokume gane cane was applied.  The chain and beads were added as a final embellishment.  Can be worn as a pendant or used a a mobile phone charm.
                                                           Field Found Pottery Pieces
                                                  Field Found Pipe Stems and Bowls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your comments or suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!!!